Monday, March 5, 2012

Story Fragment - Untitled

Shadows dancing, flitting through patches of dappling light turning the bright green of the grass to emerald velvet, the bluebells to a dusky purple

For some reason the smells at twilight are increased
The heavy sweetness of the honeysuckle and lavender fill the air

I lay awake sprawled on a patch of clover and wild mint.
I pluck a sprig to freshen my breath as I awaited my lover's arrival.
Any minute she would be traversing the gray step stone path to the bridge and this grove beyond. Her long skirts brushing the grass and skimming across the tops of her bare feet.

I heard a trill of a whistle and I smiled. I whistled three notes back and sat up to watch her approach.

I saw her walking to me with a grin on her face and a large wicker basket on her arm. Over her shoulder was a green blanket.

"My Katya! You made us lunch?" I said as I took the blanket from her and spread it on the ground.

She laughed."No need to sound shocked. I just decided to get the basics.' A jug of wine, a loaf of bread and thee.' "

She bent to kiss me lightly before settling on the blanket.

"Plus a few pears and some cheese" She laughed."But that didn't fit with the poem."

She started pulling out the food and arranging it in the middle of the blanket. She tucked a strand of her long dark hair behind her ear. It flowed down her back like a waterfall of silk. I simply drank her in. Her easy grace and her open smile undid me.

"Katya, you take my breath away without even trying." I said to her reaching out to touch her face.

Her full lips curved in a wicked smile. "You just love me because I have food."

I gathered her into my arms and nestled my cheek against hers.

"Well, I'll admit it's a perk." I said.

I kissed her as she laughed and felt her soft lips on mine. The kiss grew deeper as I tried to show her with just a kiss what she meant to me. She lightly nipped at my lower lip as she pulled away.

"Food. We can deal with our other hunger later."


No comments:

Post a Comment